Welcome to episode 34 of our podcast. In today’s episode, we’ll be discussing the current state of Web3 and its potential in the face of recent downturns in the crypto markets, specifically focusing on Cerulean Ventures and their investment strategy.
Many people are skeptical about the transformative potential of blockchain technology, while others believe in its speculative potential without properly evaluating which endeavors have the most potential. It’s important to separate the hype from the reality and identify the initiatives that can truly bring about systemic change.
Cerulean Ventures is an investment firm that focuses on backing crypto and Web3 companies that are building the infrastructure and tools necessary to scale climate impact in this decade. They believe that natural assets will unlock the next $50 trillion in growth while incentivizing the regeneration of the Earth through new coordination technologies.
The firm takes a hands-on approach and provides support to their portfolio companies on various fronts, from technical to marketing and operational aspects. They are also active contributors to DAOs, such as PrimeDAO and GnosisGuild.
One of the key themes of the episode is the concept of ownership shifting to stewardship of the Earth. Web3 and blockchain technology can facilitate new types of value exchange beyond monetary exchange and enable global exchange systems via interlinked hyperlocal communities that strengthen each other.
Examples of endeavors with enormous potential include stakeholder governance, accounting systems for nature, and initiatives like Savvy Cooperative and Timber Examples. The regenerative renaissance is a term that has emerged to highlight the importance of not just doing less harm but actually regenerating the Earth’s soil, biodiversity, and other natural assets.
Some aspects of Web3 are overhyped, but this should not detract from the immense potential that the technology holds. Cerulean Ventures’ investment strategy reflects this belief, and their focus on Cosmos Network and Regen Network ecosystems is a testament to their commitment to unlocking value through interblockchain communication and other infrastructural innovations.
Overall, it’s important to be discerning when evaluating Web3 initiatives and identify those that have the potential to bring about real change. The potential for Web3 and the regenerative renaissance to unlock maximum potential together lies in new forms of value exchange, ownership shifting to stewardship, and interlinked hyperlocal communities.
Here’s a breakdown of the key points discussed in the podcast:
- The podcast explores agency, ownership, and institutional diversity in the context of Web3 and blockchain technology.
- Examples of successful initiatives like Savvy Cooperative and Timber Examples are discussed.
- Voluntary Carbon Credits & Regen Network.
- Around the 50-minute mark, there is a discussion on indigenous holding privacy, institutions, and how they can benefit.
- The hosts analyze Web3 and blockchain technology, acknowledging that while a majority of it may be seen as questionable, it’s important not to dismiss the entire concept.
- The podcast explores meaningful endeavors that have the potential to drive systemic change, including stakeholder governance and accounting systems for nature.
- Recommendations are given to newcomers in the field to help them navigate the expanding Web3 landscape and identify valuable projects.
- The hosts share their thoughts on the promises of Web3, identifying aspects that they find exaggerated or lacking, while also highlighting underrated endeavors.
- They discuss the concept of the regenerative renaissance, which emphasizes the shift from sustainability to regeneration and a regenerative economy.
- Real-world examples of businesses that focus on regenerating soil, biodiversity, and other natural assets, such as direct air capture (DAC) and initiatives like RECs and Carbon credit liquidity and transparency, are examined.
- The hosts emphasize the importance of people-centered approaches and doing things on the terms of those on the ground.
- The potential of Web3 and the regenerative renaissance to unlock maximum potential is discussed, with a focus on shifting from ownership to stewardship of the Earth and enabling new forms of value exchange beyond monetary exchange.
- The role of DAOs (Decentralized Autonomous Organizations) and DHOs (Decentralized Human Organizations) is explored, highlighting their potential for global exchange systems through interlinked hyperlocal communities that mutually reinforce each other.
co-founded Cerulean Ventures with his partner Matthew Stotts. Cerulean Ventures backs crypto / web3 companies building the infrastructure and tools necessary to scale climate impact in this decade.
Cerulean Ventures is an investment firm that believes natural assets will unlock the next $50 trillion in growth, while incentivizing the regeneration of Earth through new coordination technologies.
We focus on the ecosystems in Cosmos Network and Regen Network, but invest actively outside it, as we believe the value unlocked by interblockchain communication (IBC) and other infrastructural innovations will rapidly scale climate impact through user-focused web3 tools.
We take a deeply hands-on approach informed by our own experience and background as founders, helping our portfolio with everything from the technical (mechanism design, product management, data engineering) to marketing and operational (community engagement, governance, tokenomics design, recruiting).
He also actively contributes to DAOs, as a steward to both PrimeDAO and GnosisGuild.